Gulfport, MS asked in Bankruptcy for Mississippi

Q: My disposable income will change on Jan 1 for three years. How/when do I file? Will trustee take changes into account?

Live in government run retired military home (Armed Forces Retirement Home – independent agency of the Executive branch). Announced a HUGE fee increase. Fees to go from $1458 to $3054 a month. Aggressive letter writing campaign – Congress ordered three years phase in. (Ordered by law – in the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act.) My disposable income will change. Now: $1,768. 1/1/2019: $1,236. 1/1/2020: $704. 1/1/2021: $172 a month. How/when do I file a Chapter 7 or 13? And will the trustee take the changes into account? Unable to pay existing credit card minimum payments after first increase (1/1/2019). Payment current at this time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You lost it in your petition and explain the increases. The trustee will take it into account.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.