Chincoteague Island, VA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: alimony payments end upon my ex-wife cohabitating after one year.

the one year date is approaching. do i need to do anything? can i just stop paying or do i need to go back to court to cease payments?

(in virginia)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wayne E. Holcomb
Wayne E. Holcomb
  • Newport News, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In short, no you cannot stop paying without a Court's involvement and a new Order. This existing Order remains in effect until a Court enters a contrary Order. You will likely have to prove that she is living with someone else for more than a year however, and at times, that's not as easy as it should be. Contact a local family law attorney for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.