Concord, CA asked in Family Law for Alaska

Q: My granddaughter was taking from my daughter by OCS can I get her back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: There's not enough information in your question to say more than "maybe," but that's usually the answer anyway. There is a possibility that your daughter could get the child returned to her if she agrees to a safety plan and follows through. Even if OCS keeps custody, they will give her a case plan, and if she follows that, they will return the child to her. In the mean time, you can ask to be the placement for your granddaughter. They're supposed to give preference to relatives. If they're unreasonable about any of this, you will probably need a lawyer to help you. If OCS keeps custody, your daughter needs to ask for a lawyer to be appointed for her as soon as possible. Your daughter can then tell the appointed attorney to pus for placement with you. If you have to hire your own lawyer, these cases can be difficult and drawn out, so it may be very expensive. If your daughter's lawyer isn't working with you, it would be worthwhile to at least consult with a lawyer to help you understand the system and how to deal with OCS and the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.