Mount Airy, NC asked in Wrongful Death for North Carolina

Q: A doctor contributed to my son's death by overprescribing Oxycodone. Can I post this on a public forum legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: First, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to live with your loss.

That being said, I think it would be better to speak with an attorney before posting something on a public forum and possibly subjecting yourself to civil claims for libel.

Indeed, if the purpose is to protect others from the opioid epidemic and possibly the doctor herself or himself, there may be more effective private ways to proceed forward through the NC Medical Board.

Given the sensitive nature of the subject and further considering Mt. Airy is still "small town NC," it might be better to speak with an attorney with the protection of confidentiality and attorney-client privilege.

Again, deepest condolences in your loss.

Bill Powers

Charlotte Attorney

Cheryl R. Watkins, agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.