Bridgeport, CT asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: Can someone who is 19 move away from there parents in PR? is the age 21? What if she moves to the states does it change?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. Anybody under the age of 21 and a legal resident of Puerto Rico is a minor under law and therefore is under the guidance and regulations of the parents that have custody. A minor cannot move away without parental consent and the fact that she moves to a state does not change the fact of being a minor since she is a legal resident of Puerto Rico. For a change to occur one would have to become a legal resident of another jurisdiction. Usually residency laws require 180 days in said jurisdiction. A parent can obligate the minor to return to the parental home by going to the court and getting an order.

However, the minor of 18 years old or over can petition the court for emancipation which would render her the right to act and live as an adult thus allowing her to move out on her own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.