Washington, DC asked in Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for District of Columbia

Q: Can a law firm be sued?

The law firm representing me in a civil/non-payment of rent pro bono case made a donation to a non - profit legal organization that filed an unfounded domestic violence (criminal) case against me in family court on behalf of a woman who married me for a green card.The law firm did nothing for me during the 10 months they were "representing" me in the civil case and at the same time they donated $2,500 to the firm that filed the criminal case against me in family court.I was evicted!

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrellos Mitchell
Andrellos Mitchell
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Well, I guess you got what you paid for. But seriously, even though the firm represented you for free, if it was negligent in the handling of your case and breached its duty of care compared to other law firms in the community, handling the same types of cases, theoretically you can sue the firm. However, based on the facts you present, I don't think you have a legally sufficient basis to sue the firm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.