Manchester, NH asked in Car Accidents for New Hampshire

Q: If my son got addicted to pain meds after an accident, can I sue the other driver?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Joseph Kelly Levasseur

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Its a great question but the law would most likely not support this concept. It is a reach that a car accident could be the cause of someone getting hook on pain medication. It could be argued that the doctor that prescribes the medication may have given out too much or the wrong dose, but its not foreseeable that the driver that caused the accident would be at fault for this happening. I do like the argument though.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It could be difficult to attribute and connect the addiction to the basic underlying negligence of the other driver. Good luck to your son in getting over the pain meds.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.