Isanti, MN asked in Probate for Minnesota

Q: I am a woman who purchased a house with a man. The deed was written as tenants in common. After we purchased the house

we married. Then he died. Now I'm being told I have to go to probate to remove his name from the deed. Don't I inherit his share since we were married?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Damberg
Joshua Damberg
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Maple Grove, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The issue with your question is the title/ownership of the property in question.

You state that you owned the property as Tenants in Common with your deceased husband. Tenants in Common own a divided interest or separate interests in property. In the above scenario, you would own 50% and your deceased husband's estate would now be responsible for distributing the 50% that he owned during his lifetime. This would likely be controlled by his Will or, if he had no Will, Minnesota's default laws called Intestacy. A Probate may be required to transition the ownership whether or not he had a Will.

The other form of property ownership legally recognized in Minnesota is Joint Tenancy. Joint Tenants own an undivided interest in the entirety of the property. Most often, property owned in Joint Tenancy transitions outside of Probate because the last living Joint Owner holds 100% of the property via Rights of Survivorship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.