Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by James A. Teigland
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Minnesota on
Q: I bought a cabin in 2010 After close I put my mate on the title. I paid it off 2016. She paid $0. Is she entitled to

I bought a cabin in 2010 by obtaining a loan in my name only. After close I put my unmarried mate on the title. I paid the loan off in 2016 with proceeds from my deceased brother's estate. My mate and I split up in 2019. She made 4 payments of principal only and never paid for anything else... View More

James A. Teigland
James A. Teigland
answered on Jul 12, 2021


I see you are from California but asked a question in MN's Civil Litigation section. I'm assuming the property you are asking about is located in MN. Generally speaking, 50/50 owners split the sale proceeds of a property 50/50, but the rule is not absolute. Courts should,...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Minnesota on
Q: I bought five tractors have a copy of a check and a bill of sale , Tractors were gone when went to pickup.

Have messages on my phone

James A. Teigland
James A. Teigland
answered on Dec 7, 2020

You have a couple of options. First, you should consult with an attorney. Many attorneys offer free initial consultations. But if you don't want to do that, consider sending a demand letter for the tractors and/or return of your money. If that does not work, sue in small claims court (if... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Minnesota on
Q: I filed a restraining order with the false information the respondent gave under perjury? How to rectify this?

This person goes by the name "Masked Babe" on Twitter, YouTube, Discord, and Twitch. I provided their twitter account and the name "masked babe" on the restraining order.

James A. Teigland
James A. Teigland
answered on Oct 21, 2018

I would prepare an "Amended Petition" with the correct name and just file it in the same case and serve the document by U.S. Mail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.