Fairfield, CT asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Connecticut

Q: I delivered a car but the person died before he paid for it. Can I send the bill to his kids?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • North Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You can do whatever you want to do. However, technically you need to file a claim against his estate. If you do not file the claim following a very specific set of rules your request for money can legally be denied. Generally the claim must be sent to his executor (which is published in the newspaper) within either 3 months or 5 months depending on the very specific rule that applies.

Needless to say do not delay and it probably makes sense to have an attorney file the claim for you to be sure that you met all formalities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.