Washington, DC asked in Divorce and Family Law for Maryland

Q: When filing for separation does the other party have to moved. There are no children between the two.

There is tension between us and I can afford the mortgage on my own and I want to buy him out but I need a year to do it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nyasha A. West
Nyasha A. West
  • Lutherville Timonium, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Unlike an Absolute Divorce on the ground of Voluntary Separation, when parties seek to divorce on the ground of Mutual Consent, there is no requirement that they live separate and apart prior to seeking to dissolve the marriage.

In Maryland, a divorce may be granted on the ground of Mutual Consent so long as the following conditions are met:

1. The parties have a signed settlement agreement that resolves property issues, alimony and issues related to dependent or minor children

2. Neither party seeks to set aside the settlement agreement prior to the divorce hearing

3. The parties attach a completed child support guidelines worksheet to the settlement agreement if it includes provisions for the payment of child support

4. The court is satisfied that the settlement agreement is in the best interests of the minor or dependent children, if any

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.