Greensburg, PA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I have a pfa against my mil that she appealed to superior court. Do i just show up to the hearing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes and no. There are very specific procedures for appeals to the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, and she must follow them to get any appellate relief at all. You too must correctly follow all of the appellate procedures.

If oral argument is requested and scheduled -- that's the "hearing" -- then yes, you would show up to that. But there are briefs, the court transcript in the trial court, etc. that must be filed first and long before that.

I suggest you speak with (and hire) an attorney about the appeal so you don't miss any deadlines or otherwise make any procedural mistakes -- esp. if your mother-in-law has an attorney assisting her. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.