Huntsville, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: What are the risks to divorcing a US citizen as an undocumented immigrant?

I am an undocumented immigrant (I entered the US legally and overstayed a visa) and I got married last year to an american citizen. She now wants a divorce. How could this affect my stay in the US?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Karina Garcia Herhusky
Karina Garcia Herhusky
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Apex, NC

A: Usually when an immigrant marries a U.S. citizen and the U.S. citizen files a petition for permanent residence on behalf of the immigrant, the immigrant is granted conditional permanent resident status until the couple has been married for two years. This two year conditional period is supposed to deter people from entering into sham marriages for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. In order for the immigrant to remove the granted conditional permanent status, the immigrant will have to file a form to remove the conditional status before the temporary green card expires. The form has a a built-in waiver for those who have divorced their U.S. citizen spouse, but USCIS will still require proof that the marriage was entered in good faith, for legitimate reasons and not for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. Divorce could definitely affect your stay in the U.S., please consult an attorney that could advise you based on your particular situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.