Fayetteville, AR asked in Child Support for California

Q: Do parents in California have to pay child support to children over the age of 18?

My brother's childhood friend is still paying child support for his 24 year old daughter who has been in the Air Force for over two years

I cant begin to imagine why his child support payments are still going on. his ex wife would have gone after him for child support soon after the divorce. he would have had to start paying as soon as they knew that their relationship ended

He works and lives in Lost Wages, Neveda but the case is still in California

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Child support in California typically ends when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later.

If he's still been paying, and can show record of the payments, then he should file a motion with the court to terminate child support and recoup the overpayment from the mother.

I'm happy to consult with him if the case is in San Diego county.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.