Spokane, WA asked in Contracts, Domestic Violence, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Washington

Q: My ex fiance and I signed a year lease in October he got worse with angry issues & verbal/emotional abuse. I need off.

What can I do to get off lease without penalties?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: While you may be held liable for your duties under the lease, if you leave the home to protect yourself from actual domestic violence, and if your ex doesn't pay the lease in full and on time, your landlord might pursue both of you in court for breach of contract and any owed monies (or your ex might pursue you in court for the same). In such an event, you may seek to defend yourself by seeking indemnity against your ex based on his constructive eviction of you and his making it impossible for you to satisfy the terms of the lease via his violence. Yet you state that your ex exhibits anger and verbal/emotional abuse, but you say nothing re: physical violence. That is key. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AliEsq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.