Clementon, NJ asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for New Jersey

Q: How can I fight a 4th degree felony for driving while suspended for 2nd dwi? Is their a mandatory sentence?

Gloucester County, NJ

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You can only fight it with a lawyer and not many defenses exist at all. The Maximum sentence is 18 months in jail and the minimum is 6 months jail. If you get really lucky and have really good facts and your in an easier county such as Essex you may just get lucky and be able to get PTI which could keep you out of jail if you were an exceptional person and had no prior criminal record whatsoever. But again that chance is very slim even in Essex the county most consider to be the easiest and you appear to be in Gloucester, what many consider to be a much tougher county. The only thing you can do is to hire the best lawyer you can find because you want to make sure you get the 6 months not the 18 and remember for this charge you generally don't get any credits for early release, you do the whole time.

Daniel P Leavitt

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA

A: Driving on suspended charges are difficult to defend in any state, especially if the suspension was due to a DUI suspension. Get a good lawyer to help you in court to minimize what happens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.