Siletz, OR asked in Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: I need to appeal or a motion to dismiss a stalking order in Oregon how do I do that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you were served a stalking order and contested it at a hearing in court, and lost at that Hearing, IF you think you have legal grounds to appeal it, you can do so as long as you do so in a timely manner. But you need to prove that the court made some sort of legal error, not just that you don't like the ruling or think the court should have ruled differently. Just because a Judge does not believe you is not adequate grounds for an appeal. This is not a do-it-yourself project if you seriously expect to have a reasonable chance of prevailing. Consult with a local appellate attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.