Central Point, OR asked in DUI / DWI for Oregon

Q: False DUI Arrest?

I am 65 years old, white, male. Got pulled over last night for failure to signal and failure to maintain lane, admitted to drinking a mini-bottle of wine with dinner 4 hours earlier, arrested after not passing field sobriety test (which I thought I did fine on), taken to station, blew 0.00. DRE called in, I informed him that I have never done any kind of drugs (true), and only prescription I am on is a mild hyper-tension beta blocker (Toprol). Arrested anyway, provided urine sample, first court appearance in about a month. Clean record. Arresting officer stating just prior to release, 'I arrested you for suspicion of impaired driving, I can not simply unarrest you...you will have to go through the process (court)'. Seems kinda bunk to me? Planning on representing myself. I will wait a few weeks and request DRE and toxicology report.

My first question is, 'Can I request dash cam video from arresting officer's car as I don't believe claim of failure to maintain lane?'

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I think it is a bad idea to represent yourself. DUIs can be more complicated than meets the eye. I believe that you have an excellent case based on what you're saying here; it's possible that the state won't even charge the case. Likely, even. However, if they DO charge the case then you're risking an awful lot just to save a few grand on attorney fees.

To answer your question though, yes, you can get the Dash cam video if it exists. But answer me this - then what? Do you know what to do with that to get your case dismissed? What motions to file and what legal authorities to recite? If you don't know right now, off the top of your head, how to do it, then consider that your opponent is a State Prosecutor who absolutely does know it off the top of his head, and that you're going to have to make legal arguments to a judge against a far more experienced and knowledgeable opponent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.