Lake Elsinore, CA asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for California

Q: We live in California. Would we have to pay fed/state gifting taxes if gifting a second home to our daughter in 2019?

We have not gifted before. We understand we would have to file an IRS 709 form. Do we have to file any other state or federal forms?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank Huerta Jr
Frank Huerta Jr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No you do not have to file an additional tax form for California. However if you are gifting the home to your daughter, you should also fill out the Primary Change of Ownership Form (PCOR) with you county.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.