Chicago, IL asked in Probate and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Do I have to probate a will that contains only personal items, such as clothing, furniture, dishes ect. Value 500.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: As a matter of law you have a duty to 'spread the will of record' or 'file the will without administration.' What this means is that you go to the court and file the will with the court but do NOT probate the will. No administration is put in place, no executor is appointed, no estate is opened.

If the value of the estate is under $50,000.00 (I believe it was increased this year), you do not have to open an estate. You can transfer the property through a Small Estate Affidavit. Contact a local attorney in your area to get more information on preparing a Small Estate Affidavit.

Consult with an attorney in your area for legal advice. Any information provided here is just for general information purposes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.