Sun City, CA asked in Uncategorized for New York

Q: Do opposition papers filed by Principle Defendant in answer to Plaintiff need to be served upon nominal defendants?

Nominal defendants were included in filing by Plaintiff in a real estate partition action case between Plaintiff and Principle Defendant. They did not present themselves at any time in any capacity during the case and they were included purely for technicality. I am filing an Opposition to the Plaintiff OTSC. Aside from the other parties to the case who I know I need to serve copy, I was never aware that every document filed previously with the Court was also served on them also. I changed from having counsel to proceeding pro se. My Opposition has nothing to do with their tenancies or persons but with a Plaintiff;s Motion, which also has nothing to do with their tenancies or persons.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: All named parties in a legal action need to be served with all filings. Rather than proceed pro se, why not consider limited scope representation as an affordable option. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.