Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Illinois

Q: Can my husband signadocumentwith an X if he cannot sign his full name

He has Alzheimer's but is fully competent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your question doesn't make sense, at least to me. If he has Alzheimer's (a disease of affecting mental abilities) the odds are very high that he is not mentally competent to sign anything, either with an X or otherwise. His treating doctor needs to make a determination that your husband is of sound mind -- which typically means he doesn't have Alzheimer's. If he is of sound mind in the doctor's opinion, but is physically unable to sign his name as the result of a different medical condition (such as paralysis of the hand or arm he normally writes with), then he can sign with an X only if he is fully and completely aware of what he is signing and why he is signing it, and states at the time he signs it that he means the X to serve as his signature.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.