Selma, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: I was charged out of state tuition in January of 2018 when I was a in state student. I didn't notice till August that I

was being overcharged. I let Fresno state know that I was a California resident for years. They fixed my status and refunded me for the August semester but they refused to refund me for January's semester. They told me since that semester was over I could not request for a refund even if it was the wrong status. They stated it is per their policy. My question is can I sue the school for the money? they never showed me where the policy was and I was never allowed to speak to a manger

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.

  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may need to immediately file an administrative grievance with the school for the appropriate tuition adjustment. Note that the statute of limitations for complaints against public entities is very short, so time is of the essence. See:

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.