Glassboro, NJ asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: NJ: I have sole legal and physical custody of my 10 yo child, Can I have non custodial parental rights terminated?

Ex pays child support but has had no contact in 3 yrs. Very minimal contact the 5 years prior) He is constantly arrested for drugs and driving with out a drivers license. He has had 3 dui's and recently in the last few months he has been caught driving on a suspended license. He is not active in my childs life and my husband is the only father my child has known. My child has a rare disorder that requires over night hospital visits. I am my childs only legal guardian. My child has no contact with my ex's family (they are all local) My child does not know anyone with his last name and is upset that his stepdad, sister and I all have the same last name. My husband is willing to adopt. Would this be considered abandonment by my ex? I have paid a ridiculous amount of lawyer fees in the past, that resulted in me doing all of the work, including getting my ex to sign over custody.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. I can understand how stressful this must be for you. Step-parent adoptions are possible in the State of New Jersey. I would suggest that you and your husband schedule a consult with a family law attorney to go over options and any potential complications to your specific case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.