Blythewood, SC asked in Child Support and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Can a new (first time) child support court order request funds for previous years of non-support?

Unwed couple; 1 child, now 11 years old. Father (name on birth certificate) has not been allowed visits for 9 yrs; Mother did not accept any financial assistance. No issues have been addressed in Family Court.

Mother now married another and is asking for financial support in exchange for visitation - still not being addressed in Family Court.

If a court-ordered child support plan is initiated, can the court order that financial support for previous years be paid retroactively? Or, does the order only cover future support payments? Trying to decide how to proceed with this matter. I understand that Child Support and Visitation are separate issues in the eyes of the court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Child support will be prospective not retrospective. The South Carolina Child Support Guidelines will determine the child support amount unless you and the mother agree to a different amount. I strongly advise you to consult with a family law practitioner in your area before making any decision.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.