Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Do I have to get the father to resign a Child Travel Consent acknowledgement if he doesn't support the child?

I have a Joint Custody Agreement in Louisiana that was signed in 2011. A year after signing this document the biological father broke all the rules in the document. He does pay child support or help care for the child. He only communicates on holidays and special occasions. And, he has an unhealthy lifestyle to care for the child. My daughter, Husband, and I currently live in Japan now. My Husband provides her with support, medical care, food, clothing,... etc. We still allow communication with the biological father and his mother being that Joint Agreement signed and for my daughter. We signed a Notarized Consent to Travel form before leaving with the biological father. He refused to sign a consent form for my Husband to care for her while we are here in Japan. We got her visa because we presented documentation that the child and I would be put in an unhealthy environment being my Husband provides for us. If we leave my husband, I will be with without a job, no medical care,... etc.

1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Permission to travel can either be voluntary or court ordered by a Judge. Call your custody lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.