Dracut, MA asked in Animal / Dog Law for Massachusetts

Q: Ex wants almost $13000 or says he will take the dogs and possibly sell them. Registered to me paid for and AKC to him

We lived together for two years in my home. During that time he did work around the house such as adding a fence and adding to a heating system. He also paid for several trips. He lives somewhere where he cannot have pets. Says dogs can stay with me as long as I sign an agreement to pay him half the price of the dogs plus $9000 for trips we took and work he did at my house. We had no agreements in writing. He says will “allow” them to stay with me as long as I pay him, if not he will sue me for the money he feels is owed and take the dogs and I won’t see them until he is paid for them. They are registered to me. He paid for them and is on AKC paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Were you married? If not, then his payment for trips and home improvements on your home may be considered gifts, unless there were explicit loan agreements between you regarding these expenditures. As for the ownership of the dogs, were they gifts to you? Why are they registered in your name? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AliEsq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.