Redlands, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: California Do I really need to pay childsupport when he doesn’t have custody anymore?

He had custody for three months he got childsupport on me because he got foodstamps once

He lost custody because he left my baby alone after a physical altercation with another woman

I refuse to go to court or talk to a social worker. He said a social worker said I have custody. His family won’t let me see the baby. I don’t have any money to pay him even tho it’s only 1000$.. I got the papers in December they were sent out in August saying I have 30 days.. I don’t know what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you refuse to go to court, then yes, you have to keep paying child support and they can keep denying you custody.

You need to make a choice. You can go to court, get the child support modified, and ask for custody back. Or you can keep things the way they are. Child support will continue to be due, and if you don’t pay it, they can freeze your bank accounts, suspend your drivers license, and take your tax refunds.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.