Denver, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: Additional information after lawyer responded

The detective knows where the woman lives. He is serving her with theft charges and a warrant for her arrest. She STILL won’t return my dogs even though the law has stated they are rightfully mine. The detective is saying he can’t get the dogs back for me if he can’t find them...she may be hiding them somewhere else etc. I was wondering what my next step should be? There are two dogs one was $5000. Does the woman pay restitution for that? I’m waiting for the detective to get back to me with what the DA has to say. Bottom line I want my dogs and I need to find them if no one else will. Especially if the law has determined they are my dogs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If a criminal case is filed, you could be entitled to restitution for the value of the dogs, but it's up to a judge and only if there is a conviction. Since you want to find your dogs, you should sue her civilly under a replevin theory. These are complicated cases, so while the courts do have forms you can fill out to file on your own, it really makes sense to hire an attorney that handles custody cases. There are other potential claims you can add that could even entitle you to attorney fees and triple damages. Bottom line, it pays to hire an experienced animal attorney in matters like this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.