Haines City, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: I have 2 daughters.Was unmarried to their father.The girls and I reside in Florida for 7 months.I sent them for a visit

With their father over Christmas break.He decides to keep them and file for custody in his state.I have filed in Florida.Can I go to his home and retrieve them.Court dates have not been set.He filed Jan 3,I filed Jan 6.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You absolutely should contact an experienced local family law attorney. Preferably an attorney with a good record of fighting custody battles. You have issues of jurisdiction that need to be addressed. Typically living here for seven months would give Florida jurisdiction over the children and the case. However there are many nuances to that which a lawyer with specific facts could help you figure out. It may be that jurisdiction is in the father state, and if so you may end up getting a voyeur there. But it may be worth fighting for jurisdiction here as well.

Wishing you all the best.

David A. Carroll, Pensacola Child Custody Lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.