Emporia, KS asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri

Q: My ex has sole custody of our kids. I'm paying CS but found out the kids don't live w/ him now? Options?

I have a set of twins that will be 18 in June. My ex has had custody since they were 6. I've been paying CS but recently found our that one of them is living w/ his ex-wife and he is paying her $100 month in CS for our daughter. The other is living w/ her boyfriends mom (BF is at school) and is receiving no support. He never mentioned this to me and is still receiving almost $400 a month in CS from me. He has blocked me and daughter, staying w/ BF's mom, in social media and phone. I have lots of horrible msgs he sent her on FB. I live in KS but the divorce was in MO. Some advice on how to handle this? I believe I make too much for legal aid but not enough to pay a decent lawyer. Self help info would be appreciated.

2 Lawyer Answers

Lydia Seifner

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Child support is to assist the parent actually caring for the child, if your ex is not housing the children, then there is no reason for him to be the recipient of the support. You will still owe support, but can have it redirected to the household's actually caring for the children, and sometimes to the children themselves. Talk to an attorney in the county where the original judgment was filed to assist you.

Kristen Thurmond

  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If you're struggling to hire an attorney try to find an attorney that may be able to help you on a limited scope basis, such as preparing paperwork to file. With the children turning 18 in June, the options are different than children about to turn 8. At the very least talk with an attorney who works in the county that issued the original order to figure out your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.