West Monroe, LA asked in Traffic Tickets and Immigration Law for Louisiana

Q: I have speeding tickets happened longtime ago. But my DMV driving record shows no violation. Where can i get them?

I am about to fill in N400 to apply for citizenship. There is a question (question 23) to ask if i have ever been cited by law enforcement by any reason. I have nothing except some speeding tickets. Research on internet shows me that I need to answer "YES" and disclose all my traffic+parking tickets in question 29.

I am sure that i have several speeding tickets (2 in Louisiana: 8 and 7 years ago and 1 in Texas: more than 8 years ago) and 1 parking ticket in the past (more than 2 years ago). But the driving record that i took from DMV shows no violation.

Do you know where i can get my ticket information OR how to fill in the form (question 29) in this scenarios.

3 Lawyer Answers

Allen C. Ladd

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC

A: I suggest you keep googling for TX and LA DMV record info. You may need to have official DMV records on the speeding violations, for your natz interview. Go ahead and complete the form -- and note that YES, you were CITED and you were CHARGED and your were CONVICTED of a CRIME ... even though speedking tickets are low-level criminal offenses. Also if you even spent an hour in jail (not likely but possible) you must answer the question below those questions, YES you were in jail for __1__ day (for instance).

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Ignore the parking ticket.

Call the Sheriff in LA for the 2 speeding tickets and hire an attorney to get them resolved.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You would answer yes. If you can’t get the records, then an explanation from the issuing agency that there is no record is your best option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.