Centralia, IL asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Can i get a ticket off my record that was listed wrong?

I got a ticket for failure to yield because i had accident. I was turning left on a one way street the correct way. When i had court i asked for a new date because i was sick. I got a paper in the mail saying i was found guilty of turning the wrong way on a one way street which is inacurate. The person in other car had stop sign to as i was turning left she came across the one way street caught my front bumper and her whole drivers side slid down my bumper. My insurance paid part of it but found her a fault to. Went back to court told them the charge was wrong the judge vacated the fine after i paid 20 on it before court. Someone said the charges should be dropped because they charged me with the wrong charge. Im finding it real hard to find insurance i can afford living on 730 a month SSI. My old insurance i was with 4 yrs went up to 100 a month. Can i get the ticket off my record ive never had accident and could renew my license by mail before this accident.

2 Lawyer Answers

Jeremy Wang

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Rolling Meadows, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It appears you missed Court. The judge entered a judgment against you not being present in Court. There may have been clerical error by way of information on the ticket or how it was entered into the Court Clerks system. You went back to Court to try to clear the ticket. However, It is not clear what the judge exactly did by way how you described it. Contact the Court Clerks office - you may have to ask them to explain what the judge did with your case. Good Luck.

Charles Candiano

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: On your facts, the judgment was vacated which means that you don't have a ticket on your record. On your facts what you have on your INSURANCE record is an at-fault accident as reported by your insurance company. If you had appeared and asked for a continuance or hired an attorney to ask for a continuance, it would have been granted and you may not have been found to be partially at fault. Only attorneys can request continuances and then, not always. This proves the old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.