Mantua, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Municipal Law for New Jersey

Q: Can my son go to jail for a violation of PTI?

My son had a 4th offense driving while suspended back in 2015 which he never paid the fine off. He is currently on PTI for a criminal offense (1st one). His friend was stopped on a motor vehicle incident and my son had a warrant. He spent the night in county and has a court date this month. He is concerned that if the municipal judge gives him jail time for the municipal offense that he could be considered violating PTI and go to jail for 3-5 years, Is that a possibility.?We live in New Jersey

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes it is possible he could go to jail, but much more information would be needed to assess what would happen in his case. I suggest you speak with the lawyer who handled his PTI CHARGE as he would know best, or setup a consultation with a new lawyer if you were not satisfied with your prior lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.