Fenwick, MI asked in Adoption, Child Support and Family Law for Michigan

Q: My son is 8 years old. His biological father is aware that the child exists but is NOT on the BC or signed an affadavit.

The Biological father moved out of state. If he comes back would he be ordered to support from the child's birth? State assistance was used for my son's prenatal and birth care. I am looking at getting married and doing a step parent adoption. I believe I would have to given him legal rights then but if he fights signing off...would he be required to pay CS since birth?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Quite likely, yes. That aside, it would seem that you could still proceed with a step parent adoption, having his rights terminated for non-support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.