Littleton, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: A friend gave us a dog and now wants her back after 9 months. We have paid all expenses. He changed his mind.

He gave us the dog to but wanted to be able to breed her twice. He got mad at us and says he will come and take her.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kristina M. Bergsten

  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If he gave you the dog, then it’s yours. He would have to sue you and win to get the dog back. However, because there are clearly some details that you did not post here, it would be best if you met either an attorney to go over all the facts to get your best resolution.

Juliet Piccone

  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Aurora, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Is you friend claiming that you were only taking care of the dog for him? Is there anything in writing either showing that he unconditionally gifted the dog to you? If he just wants the dog to breed an easy solution is to spay her, so long as you do have proof that he gave her to you and is now trying to renegotiate the gift and make it a conditional gift. This is not necessarily a black and white issue, you need a consultation with an experienced animal attorney. A few who claim to be experienced (but really only dabble in this area) will give free consultations but those with real experience and results will charge for their valuable advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.