Chicago, IL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arizona

Q: How to prepare a parenting plan for out of state parent. Also, looking for information on how to even get full custody

I have two daughters who are 4 and 3 years old. They currently live in AZ with the mother, I live in Chicago, IL. I'd like to get full custody of them because I do believe and have reasons why it would be in the best interests of the girls. Yet, I know that the courts do not usually favor with the father in many cases. If that's not a possibility my next option would be to establish a parenting plan working with a lawyer. I have already established paternity and child support and pay accordingly through the courts. The mother somewhat works with me on seeing them, but sometimes makes it harder than I believe it should be. Honestly just like to speak to someone and figure out my options and how to proceed and do what is in the best interests of my daughters. It would be in the area of Tucson, AZ (Pima County). Also, me and the mother never were married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: In Arizona, Judges may not favor either parent on the basis of gender and I do not see mothers being favored over fathers anymore.

If you want the children to live with you out of state, you will have to request the Court grant you permission to relocate them.

There are endless options for parenting plans and finding out what is best for your girls.

I recommend contacting an experienced family law attorney. Many practice in numerous counties and have offices in numerous counties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.