Columbia, SC asked in Workers' Compensation for South Carolina

Q: I fell at work on Friday, was in a little pain but ok. Now it's Sunday, can I go to ER and file WC on Mon.?

Will WC pay for the visit to ER before papers are filed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ilene Stacey King
Ilene Stacey King
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: In general, the workers' comp insurance carrier will only pay for treatment that they or the employer authorize. It's not a question of papers being filed but of approval before your go. There is an exception for true emergency treatment. If you don't get approval ahead of time, the ER visit may or may not be considered a true emergency. Your best bet is to try to get approval from your employer before you go to the ER. The employer may tell you to instead go to somewhere like a Doctor's Care. As long as the employer tells you it is ok to go, the workers' comp insurance carrier should honor that and pay it. Once the claim is reported, be sure to continue to get authorization for treatment. For example, if the ER or Doctor's Care refer you to a specialist, you will need approval from the workers' comp insurance carrier to see the specialist and they will tell you who to go to.

If you have a serious injury that will require ongoing care or cause you to miss time from work, you should consider having representation on your claim.

Carole Jean Hayes agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.