Wilkesboro, NC asked in Immigration Law and International Law for North Carolina

Q: I have a friend who is in jail in Sparta NC. This is his first time in trouble in over 10 year's.

He has cousty of his 4 year old son who is a us citizen. Is there anything that can be done to keep him here

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The answer depends on numerous factors such as: what he was charged with, whether he has been convicted, whether he has an ICE hold (or has been referred immigration court), and, if so, whether he has any form of relief for which to apply. That would depend on criminal record, how long he has been in the U.S., whether he is married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and many other factors. He (or someone on his behalf) definitely needs to consult with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible to explore options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.