Chicago, IL asked in Civil Rights, Construction Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Indiana

Q: are electricity bill is $629.00 and our house is still freezing and the land Lord is a jerk no ceiling in the bathroom

and you can see light through the roof do we have any options my husband is on ssd

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: It does not sound like your heating works. Either that or your house is uninhabitable. Landlords have a duty to provide you with a safe and habitable living space. Notify your landlord, in writing (keep a copy for yourself), via certified mail of all the issues with the house and inform your landlord that the issues need to be resolved in a timely manner. If your landlord refuses to fix the issues, it may be said that you have been constructively evicted, which can be a basis upon which a tenant can consider the lease broken by the landlord. This does not guarantee that you will not be sued yourself, it merely acts as a defense for vacating the property before the lease agreement is over.

One final note: if your electricity rates are astronomically high, you should consider contacting NIPSCO or whomever handles your electricity and heating to inspect the property to see if it is not an issue on their end.

You should consult with a local landlord/tenant attorney in your area for legal advice and possible representation. Any information given here is for general information purposes only.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.