Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Illinois Civil Rights Questions & Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Personal Injury for Illinois on

Q: Civil Case Against UBER Techs, Rasier LLC and the Drivers Negligence caused my accident in Illinois. To my Son and I.

December 24th, 2017 @ 7:03 the driver sped thru the intersection failing to stop at all and with speed. I drove through my intersection w/ no stop sign and I t-boned the driver with passenger through the UBER app. Driver was driving with 2 moving violations of speeding over 15 mph within that year... Read more »

Robert D. Kreisman answered on Sep 11, 2019

Your case should be postured to file suit soon based on your fact description. I would urge you to hire an experienced attorney if you haven't done so already. The "Driver's" traffic violation records may not come in as evidence necessarily and will likely be challenged as to relevancy. There... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Communications Law, Internet Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Illinois on

Q: Can my girlfriend use my last name on social media

My gf n i broke up she has my washer dryer and freezer i messaged her to ask when i could come by and get them no answer so i tried instagram and found out she is using my last name and now claiming im harassing her when she never told me to stop nor did she just block me but i told her i would be... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Sep 11, 2019



(of relations between people) having a spirit of friendliness; without serious disagreement or rancor.

"there will be an amicable settlement of the dispute"

synonyms: friendly, good-natured, cordial, civil, courteous, polite, easy, easygoing,...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Illinois on



Gary Kollin answered on Aug 14, 2019

Typing in all capital letters is considered shouting and offensive

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Illinois on

Q: I carry a buck knife blade length 6 inches. I conceal it. Is this legal? As long as not on state property?

William Wolf answered on Jul 27, 2019

I suppose the answer to this question depends on why you're possessing the knife. Possession of such a knife could lead to your arrest.

Illinois law forbids the possession of knives in its unlawful use of weapons statute in two subsections:

The first is that is illegal is "any...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Civil Rights for Illinois on

Q: I'm now adult felon I won a civil settlement as a child with a guardian am I able to receive Daley center case records.

I was as a child in a hit and run accident which at the time I had a relative as a guardian this now I'm an adult yet being with my guardian and I having us both going to the Daley center in Chicago Illinois for this civil settlement lawsuit we had won moreover I'm now independent as an adult with... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 19, 2019

If you are now an adult convictions would not affect your ability to benefit from the settlement or get your records. I'm not understanding the issue in the last sentence.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Illinois on

Q: I asked for a reasonable accommodation for a disability at work, was denied and later reprimanded is that discrimination

A new requirement was added to my responsibilities, I asked for an accommodation for my disability, was told no, and if I couldn’t complete it without an accommodation it would effect my employment... asked again 6 months later, was told no again and that “I just didn’t want to do it” and... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg answered on May 10, 2019

There is no way to answer your question effectively without an appointment (typically several hours long) reviewing the facts and any documents you can supply, investigating the medical condition that causes you to seek reasonable accommodation, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Illinois on

Q: Where my fourth amendment Right Violated?

I get pulled over for no front plate officer approaches window do you have you drivers licence and insurance. My answer no I don't I left it at home and insurance is on my phone but I have my ID. Officer aggressive starts looking through the drivers side with his flash light. Then proceeds to ask... Read more »

Juan Ooink answered on Apr 25, 2019

Have you been charged with a crime? If so, you need to hire an attorney to assist you right away. The sooner you hire an attorney the better. If you have not been charged with a crime, there is not much you can do at this point.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Construction Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Illinois on

Q: are electricity bill is $629.00 and our house is still freezing and the land Lord is a jerk no ceiling in the bathroom

and you can see light through the roof do we have any options my husband is on ssd

Steve McCann answered on Jan 14, 2019

You are likely entitled to a remedy, but the best course of action is dependent on specific facts that are not provided here, such as the location of the apartment, and whether or not it is subject to the RLTO.

In any event, I recommend organizing everything in your possession relevant to...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Illinois on

Q: If a cop lies on a police report to cover his excessive force up, can that lie ultimately get the charges dismissed?

The cop lied saying I tried to get back in my vehicle and that then he tased me. Really he walked me out in the field and beat the crap out of me and tased me out there. Four months later I get a warrant for drug possession, resisting, and obstruction. Grounds for dismissal?

Juan Ooink answered on Dec 6, 2018

This is something for you to discuss with your attorney. Your attorney will have all of the needed information in order to answer this question. If you have not hired an attorney yet, you should do so right away. The sooner you hire an attorney the sooner that attorney can start working on the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Civil Rights and Native American Law for Illinois on

Q: Could I sue someone for using a logo that's part of my religion

Logo is demeaning to my Race. A misuse of it's sole purpose and descrimnates my heritage and culture as a Native American

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 21, 2018

You can sue for anything. Whether it will be a viable suit or have any legal merit is another thing.

Sounds like you want to sue the Washington Redskins. Read (google) all the articles. Do you think there is a reason no one else is suing?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Illinois on

Q: How does the jury decide damage award in a civil case? Does the judge give the jury exactly numbers to choose from?

I would like to know the exact procedure of what happens in the court when deciding damage award? The plaintiff attorney suggests a number of amounts, after that does the judge give the jury several number of amounts to choose from? if so, how many options does the judge usually provide the jury?... Read more »

T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 9, 2018

The judge does not offer any suggestions regarding damages amounts to the jury. Generally, the plaintiff's lawyer makes suggestions, but the amount is entirely the jury's determination based on the evidence presented during the trial. There are different ways a savvy attorney can plant the seed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Communications Law for Illinois on

Q: was my federal privacy rights violated by a informant acting as a Agent secretly recording me using audio/video in my ca

Gary Kollin answered on Jul 19, 2018

You are obviously in the midst of a criminal prosecution.

Have you discussed this with your lawyer? I think you are asking around because you do not like your attorney's answer.

If you do not trust your attorney to provide proper counsel, you can always retain a new one

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Animal / Dog Law for Illinois on

Q: My former roommate left his guinea pig at our house after we threw him out and refuses to pick her up. What can I do?

My 6 month old daughter and I are allergic and need her to go to a good home.

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 25, 2018

take it to animal control

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Real Estate Law and Family Law for Illinois on

Q: Is it illegal for my mom to move without telling me if her house is my legal residency and she has my stuff in her house

I'm 19 and she moved without telling me that she was even planning to move. Some of my stuff is still with her in her new house and documents such as my birth certificate and citizenship papers are also with her.

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 23, 2018

I’m sorry. Your mother needs your permission to move?

Did you ask her for the items?

If she doesn’t want to give you your property, consider a writ of replevin

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Illinois on

Q: is is a violation of my 4th amendment if the police enter my home without cause

the police entered my home at the request of individuals that planned on burglarizing my home, these individuals called the police and told them that there was a burglary i progress at my home, the police responded to the call, once at my home they contacted the property manager and demanded entry... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 15, 2018

Inform your insurance company.

Speak to a supervisor in police department

If they left the people in your home, that means they were there . So why would the police need to get property manager to let them in.

This is all very strange.

You may wish to hire an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Illinois on

Q: If someones incarcerated in the state of Illinois & said to be mentally unstable & should be in psych-ward by the jails

own psychologist, but the jail will not comply with the doctors recommendation for the inmate to be moved, what can their family do in order to get the jail to move him so he can get the help he needs?

Gary Kollin answered on May 27, 2018

Hire an attorney

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Illinois on

Q: What kind of a lawyer do I need to get

I had no car insurance on my vehicle and my boyfriend was driving my car and he was not insured at the time either.. I only have sr22 that’s it.. he got in a very bad car accident and hit another vehicle.. the guy he hit was in the hospital for only 3 days and now he wants to sue me because it... Read more »

Steve McCann answered on Feb 23, 2018

You need an attorney who specializes in civil litigation, specifically related to automobile accidents. If you did not have insurance at the time, you will need to hire one of us in private practice. I would recommend acting quickly, as there may be a chance you can work out a deal prior to the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Illinois on

Q: I was fired for going out to my car during work to get a tampon after i started my period while working.

Are there any laws against this discrimination

James G. Ahlberg answered on Feb 8, 2018

You should consult with an attorney who practices in the field of human rights (civil rights) as quickly as possible. If it is unlawful discrimination you almost certainly have only 180 days (not six months) from the date you were fired to get a claim on file with the Illinois Human Rights... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Illinois on

Q: separation agreement was discuss in chambers . With Affidavit and discovery. Can plaintiff volunteer dismiss

Spouse filed for divorce. Shortly after we filed a separation agreement that was given to his Attorney. After affidavit and discovery and spouse caught in a lie in his response. They first wanted me to not bring our separation agreement that I paid for. And filed it with Court. Court made me... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg answered on Jan 19, 2018

If I've got it straight, your question is whether a plaintiff can voluntarily dismiss her case. As a general rule, yes.

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud, Civil Rights and Real Estate Law for Illinois on

Q: Can a listing agent refuse to go to any of her clients about my offers. Every house I like she is listing.

My realtor and listing agent are in the same office. The listing agent keeps saying I should find houses that are not hers. We have the down payment and all. She tells people I am a risk and not to take offer. She will even refuse to give my realtor the code to a house.

James G. Ahlberg answered on Jan 17, 2018

Take these facts to a lawyer's office. Something is seriously wrong if a listing agent in a brokerage you ware working with is telling people you are a risk. If your realtor is telling you the listing agent says this, I would question whether the realtor is telling you the truth.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.