Willoughby, OH asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Ohio

Q: Can an appeals court change the title of a state v. def case (as filed by the clerk) to city v def?

If yes, why or what are requirements.

This is for a criminal appeal of a conviction for the violation of a city ordinance, specifically Mentor MCO 505.13


(b) No person shall keep horses, goats, cows, chickens, sheep, mules, ducks, geese, turkeys or similar farm animals on premises of less than two (2) acres. *** Whoever violates this section is shall be guilty of a minor misdemeanor upon a first offense; shall be guilty of a fourth degree misdemeanor upon a second offense within twelve months of the first offense; and shall be guilty of a third degree misdemeanor upon three or more offenses within twelve months of the first offense.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If that’s the proper case caption, sure. They could make such a correction.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.