Newark, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Can I be charged criminally if kohls never recovered the merchandise?

I was shopping in kohls, trying to spend my kohls cash. Unsure of what I wanted & other reasons, I had a lot of stuff to try on. Not once did I try to conceal anything or take merchandise but before I went into the dressing room this young lady was following me. After shopping for a while I checked out. When I left the store the lady came up to me and asked me to come with her, she "believes" I stole things. I told her that I was not going anywhere with her & she told me she was going to call the cops. I told her go ahead I have nothing to hide. I went and sat in my car and waited but she went back inside. My question is, a week after that I got a letter in the mail stating I need to pay a civil fee of $150.what should I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: We are not supposed to give specific legal advise on this site on what to do, but you can setup an in office consultation with an experienced lawyer. What I will say is that arguments exist on both sides on whether or whether not to pay it. Either way I would contact the court in which the store was in to see if they filed a criminal complaint for shoplifting against you.

Leon Matchin agrees with this answer

Leon Matchin

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Milltown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If there's a civil case then I bet there's criminal too. Contact the court to confirm bc if you miss court you'll have a warrant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.