Salt Lake City, UT asked in Social Security for Idaho

Q: Can I get my brothers social security money if my mother refuses to help support him?

She gave me permission to take care of my brother and enroll him in school. My brother is special needs and needs to have certain programs in order to be successful. My mother is homeless and she wants me to care for her son until she is on her feet. She refuses to transfer his money to me as a way of support and hasn't sent me any to help him. Can I legally get his money from her in order to give him the help that he needs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hales
Michael Hales
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Rexburg, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The easiest thing to do in this situation is go to your local social security office and start the process there. You may need to involve a lawyer to challenge your mother as payee for your brother, but I'd start with the local office and ask for their assistance first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.