Idaho Social Security Questions & Answers

Q: Can I get my brothers social security money if my mother refuses to help support him?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Idaho on
Answered on Jan 14, 2019
Michael Hales' answer
The easiest thing to do in this situation is go to your local social security office and start the process there. You may need to involve a lawyer to challenge your mother as payee for your brother, but I'd start with the local office and ask for their assistance first.

Q: Can I sue my mom for not paying me money she owes me?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Juvenile Law and Social Security for Idaho on
Answered on Dec 20, 2017
F. Anthony Bullock's answer
Courts in most states would construe such an arrangement as a gratuitous promise, unsupported by consideration, and therefore unenforceable at law. In short if you attempted to engage in litigation to recover the requested sum it is unlikely that you will be successful.

Q: If I have a lot of monthly retirement income from my 401K, does that disqualify me for receiving social security

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Idaho on
Answered on Dec 11, 2017
Michael Hales' answer
No, it doesn't. There are, of course, exceptions like if you're talking about some forms of Social Security Disability.

Q: Live in Idaho. Won a medical malpractice lawsuit. Put money in an annuity and receive a monthly payment. Cannot work.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Idaho on
Answered on Dec 24, 2014
Jonathan Alexander Heeps' answer
This depends. If you have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years you may be eligible to apply for SSDI. The amount of income you receive from your annuity may disqualify you from SSI benefits. In either case you will need to prove that you you have a severe impairment that is expected to last, or has lasted for at least 12 month and are unable to engage in substantial gainful activity. There are many technicalities with Social Security Law - I recommend you consult with a local Social Security...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.