El Centro, CA asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Arizona

Q: I am seeking to take guardianship of my elderly father from my brother-in-law.

I do not believe that my brother-in-law is the best person to care for my father. He will not provide any information about my dad's affairs or allow anyone access to his medical records to the rest of the family. There has been some misconception about the power of attorney. I am my dad's eldest and the only one who has been spending significant time with him over the past couple of years. My dad is in Az and I live is CA

How can I go about applying to the court to get this changed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan K Hodges
Ryan K Hodges
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can apply for a guardianship for your father. The court has forms for a basic guardianship; you can also hire an attorney to help. You will need to notify your brother-in-law of the proceedings if he is named as your dad's agent under a power of attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.