Palm Harbor, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Where do I ask for child support Puerto Rico or in Florida?

My daughter of 17 move with me (I live in FL) and Puerto Rico court gave me her custody (Her mother in a voluntary way gave me the custody of the child). We did not establish Child Support. Where do I need to request Child support, In Florida or in Puerto Rico?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Child support in either place if you going through the Department of revenue. He can go to the local Florida Department of revenue child support enforcement office and their staff will guide you. Typically if the case must be litigated in Puerto Rico, then Florida will gather your information, and send it to their sister agency in Puerto Rico to process the child support. If you want to litigated yourself, then you would need to speak with an experienced local family law attorney to determine the specifics of the jurisdiction requirements. Was there court order in Puerto Rico? Did Puerto Rico's court order state that it would retain jurisdiction? Has the child been in Florida for more than six months? Is there an existing child support order in any state or United States territory?

Wishing you all the best.

David A. Carroll, Pensacola Child Support Attorney

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.