Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: Im 25. My18 yo brother moved with me to the states. Can my 16 yo sister make the decision to move also and leave her dad

Our mother is very ill.

Their father is unreliable however if our mother were to pass, that leaves him as their sole guardian and no other family to intervene.

I can financially care for both my adult brother and my 16 year old sister.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. Your brother is not an adult until he reaches the age of 21 as stated in the laws of Puerto Rico. As for your sister she also is a minor and as such is the responsability of her biological parents. In order for you to be able to obtain custody of your sibblings you will need to do a judicial process in court of Puerto Rico to show that said biological parents are not capable to care for said minors and as such you request to obtain custody of said minors.

Of course the biological parent with legal custody can authorize you to retain the custody and care of your sibblings. This is done through a sworn declaration prepared by said parent infront of a Notary Public in Puerto Rico.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.