Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law and Intellectual Property for Minnesota

Q: Riding dirtbike on someone private property, I didn’t know. They use force to make me leave it gets violent, details

On private property I didn’t know on my dirtbike. Man runs out and tries to push me off of my bike. That’s illegal right? Don’t they have to ask me to leave first? Then if I don’t they can use minimal force right? Also if they come out and stop me in my tracks there not aloud to just start touching my dirtbike are they? Like not even giving me a chance or asking me to leave just start messing with my bike I know I’m on there property but can I still use appropriate force to defend my own property even if I’m on there land??? One last question, if I’m on there property and they stop me in my tracks and say they are calling the police that’s fine Id just leave at that point but they can’t hold me there can they?? And if they try can I use appropriate force to get them off me?? Thanks I know, lot of questions.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It's difficult to answer detailed hypothetical questions in the absence of context. You might try a phone call instead. It doesn't seem that you are charged with a crime. So it does not look like a criminal law question. If you're charged with a crime, that usually defines the purpose of the question. If you're considering a civil claim, you may want to talk to a civil lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.