Philadelphia, PA asked in Elder Law for Alabama

Q: A car dealership sold my friends father with dementia who is not of a sound mind a $20,000 truck for $46,000

Her father turned in his BMW as a trade in as well. Her father is not of sound mind and the dealership will not allow them to return the truck and refuses to give their money back. They tacked on an extended warranty even though it came with a warranty because it was brand new.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You can certainly consult with an attorney about various civil remedies, however, there are various new "elder abuse" statutes on the books in Alabama and some may apply to this situation. It is a crime to take advantage of an elderly, incapacitated individual. Your friend may want to file a report with her local police department or call the District Attorney for her county.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.